The WTA Tour has not gone as far as the ATP Tour in enforcing a six-week break, but they have cancelled the Charleston Open and the Copa Colsanitas in addition to the Miami Open.
After the Indian Wells Masters and Fed Cup Finals and play-offs were called off earlier this week, Miami Open organisers confirmed on Thursday that the tournament was suspended as Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos A. Gimenez declared a state of emergency due to the coronavirus.
While the ATP Tour confirmed that there would be no tennis for the next six weeks, the WTA Tour has been a little more cautious with first only Miami and Charleston, which was due to start on April 6, confirmed as cancelled.
“Due to safety and health concerns surrounding the coronavirus, as well as the travel restrictions imposed on entering the United States from Europe, the Miami Open and the Volvo Car Open in Charleston will not be held at this time,” Steve Simon, WTA Chairman and CEO, said.
“There isn’t anything more important than protecting the health of our players, staff, volunteers, and fans who attend our events, along with the general public. We are disappointed but the decision has been made in the interest of public health and safety, which is the top priority. The WTA, working alongside our player and tournament leaders, will make a decision in the week ahead regarding the European clay court season.”
Next they announced that the WTA International the Copa Colsanitas in Bogota, which was also due to start on April 6, was also off after the Colombian government cancelled all public and private sports events of more than 500 people.
Forget them failing, says Forget.
Romanian fearful for future.
Plans awaiting go-ahead.
Fabio Fognini goes under the knife.
Juan Martin del Potro makes change to coaching set-up.
John McEnroe rates Nick Kyrgios quite highly.
Karolina Pliskova unimpressed by complaints.
Greg Rusedski on Roger Federer’s Grand Slam hopes.
Will we see Federer sooner than we thought?
Will French Open be moved again?