WTA Rankings: Sofia Kenin surges into top 10 as Garbine Muguruza moves back into top 20
Ashleigh Barty remains top of the WTA Rankings following the 2020 Australian Open, but finalists Sofia Kenin and Garbine Muguruza were the big movers.
Roland Garros champion Barty was beaten in the semi-finals at Melbourne Park by Kenin, who went onto win her maiden Grand Slam, but the Australian enjoyed a healthy lead at the top of the rankings ahead of the tournament and is still sitting pretty after the event.
Reigning Wimbledon champion Simona Halep is up one place to No 2 while Karolina Pliskova from the Czech Republic completes the top three.
Kenin is up to a career-high No 7 in the rankings after winning the Australian Open and the 21-year-old is now also the American No 1 as 23-time Grand Slam winner Serena Williams is down in ninth place.
Naomi Osaka dropped to No 10 after she failed to successfully defend her title in Melbourne while two-time Grand Slam winner Petra Kvitova slumped out of the top 10 as she is down to 11th.
British No 1 Johanna Konta is down one place to No 14 while former world No 1 and two-time major winner Muguruza, who lost in three sets to Kenin on Saturday, climbs 16 places to No 16.
Top 20 WTA Rankings:
1. Ashleigh Barty (Australia) 8,367
2. Simona Halep (Romania) 6,101 (+1)
3. Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) 5,290 (-1)
4. Elina Svitolina (Ukraine) 4,775 (+1)
5. Belinda Bencic (Switzerland) 4,675 (+2)
6. Bianca Andreescu (Canada) 4,665
7. Sofia Kenin (United States) 4,495 (+8)
8. Kiki Bertens (Netherlands) 3,965 (+2)
9. Serena Williams (United States) 3,915
10. Naomi Osaka (Japan) 3,626 (-6)
11. Petra Kvitova (Czech Republic) 3,466 (-3)
12. Madison Keys (United States) 2,962 (-1)
13. Aryna Sabalenka (Belarus) 2,820 (-1)
14. Johanna Konta (Great Britain) 2,753 (-1)
15. Petra Martic (Croatia) 2,586 (-1)
16. Garbine Muguruza (Spain) 2,527 (+16)
17. Marketa Vondrousova (Czech Republic) 2,430 (-1)
18. Alison Riske (United States) 2,360 (+1)
19. Elise Mertens (Belgium) 2,360 (-2)
20. Angelique Kerber (Germany) 2,175 (-2)
Emma Raducanu to be given ‘homecoming’ broadcast to toast her US Open win
The Lawn Tennis Association are set to give Emma Raducanu the welcome home she deserves.
Exclusive – Assessing Novak Djokovic’s legacy with one of the game’s leading writers
Novak Djokovic has always been fighting a losing battle in a popularity contest with Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.
Emma Raducanu could secure a place in lucrative end-of-season WTA finals
Raducanu could be on course to secure a remarkable place in the lucrative end-of-season WTA finals in Mexico.
Andy Murray eyeing up leap in the rankings after another win in Metz
Murray is one win away from a return to the top 100 in the ATP rankings.
Emma Raducanu confirms first sponsorship deal and plenty more will follow
The sponsorship opportunities are rolling in for…
‘Winning is what sport is all about’ – Andy Murray reacts to one of his best wins of 2021
The former world number dispatched the home favourite favourite 4-6 6-3 6-2.
Andy Murray accepts wildcard as he prepares to return to scene of one of his great wins
Murray completed a comeback few believed was possible when he won the ATP event in Antwerp in 2019.
Coaching guru insists Emma Raducanu still has much to prove after US Open win
She is the new queen of tennis…
Roger Federer on his latest fitness battle and Novak Djokovic’s US Open final defeat
Roger Federer has not made…
Emma Raducanu makes a leap in the tennis rankings without striking a ball
Raducanu has enjoyed a welcome rankings boost, without even striking a ball in anger.