WTA Rankings: Sofia Kenin surges into top 10 as Garbine Muguruza moves back into top 20
Ashleigh Barty remains top of the WTA Rankings following the 2020 Australian Open, but finalists Sofia Kenin and Garbine Muguruza were the big movers.
Roland Garros champion Barty was beaten in the semi-finals at Melbourne Park by Kenin, who went onto win her maiden Grand Slam, but the Australian enjoyed a healthy lead at the top of the rankings ahead of the tournament and is still sitting pretty after the event.
Reigning Wimbledon champion Simona Halep is up one place to No 2 while Karolina Pliskova from the Czech Republic completes the top three.
Kenin is up to a career-high No 7 in the rankings after winning the Australian Open and the 21-year-old is now also the American No 1 as 23-time Grand Slam winner Serena Williams is down in ninth place.
Naomi Osaka dropped to No 10 after she failed to successfully defend her title in Melbourne while two-time Grand Slam winner Petra Kvitova slumped out of the top 10 as she is down to 11th.
British No 1 Johanna Konta is down one place to No 14 while former world No 1 and two-time major winner Muguruza, who lost in three sets to Kenin on Saturday, climbs 16 places to No 16.
Top 20 WTA Rankings:
1. Ashleigh Barty (Australia) 8,367
2. Simona Halep (Romania) 6,101 (+1)
3. Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) 5,290 (-1)
4. Elina Svitolina (Ukraine) 4,775 (+1)
5. Belinda Bencic (Switzerland) 4,675 (+2)
6. Bianca Andreescu (Canada) 4,665
7. Sofia Kenin (United States) 4,495 (+8)
8. Kiki Bertens (Netherlands) 3,965 (+2)
9. Serena Williams (United States) 3,915
10. Naomi Osaka (Japan) 3,626 (-6)
11. Petra Kvitova (Czech Republic) 3,466 (-3)
12. Madison Keys (United States) 2,962 (-1)
13. Aryna Sabalenka (Belarus) 2,820 (-1)
14. Johanna Konta (Great Britain) 2,753 (-1)
15. Petra Martic (Croatia) 2,586 (-1)
16. Garbine Muguruza (Spain) 2,527 (+16)
17. Marketa Vondrousova (Czech Republic) 2,430 (-1)
18. Alison Riske (United States) 2,360 (+1)
19. Elise Mertens (Belgium) 2,360 (-2)
20. Angelique Kerber (Germany) 2,175 (-2)
Novak Djokovic news: Serb makes first public appearance since being deported
Novak Djokovic’s deportation from Australian has been…
Nick Kyrgios news: John McEnroe makes lavish claim about the Aussie maverick
McEnroe believes Kyrgios may be blessed with more talent than any other player in the game over the last decade,=.
Naomi Osaka news: ‘I’m not sure we’re going to see the great Naomi Osaka again,’ says former world No 1
Mats Wilander and John McEnroe on Naomi Osaka’s playing future.
Dan Evans news: Brit admits he ‘panicked on the court’ during defeat to Felix Auger-Aliassime
“They’re probably regretting wasting two hours of their time,” he joked about Andy Murray and co.
Aryna Sabalenka news: ‘Only 10 double faults’ as Belarusian laughs off her serving woes
The world No 2 has racked up 80 double faults in just five matches in 2022.
Stefanos Tsitsipas news: ‘Stefanos did not know that he had won the match’
Zoned in Stefanos Tstitsipas oblivious that he won the match.
Australian Open news: Dan Evans defeat signals the end of British singles hopes at Melbourne
Ninth seed Felix Auger-Aliassime ran out a comfortable win over over Dan Evans.
Daniil Medvedev news: Russian rolls on and teases crowd about ‘ups and downs’ of their relationship
Daniil Medvedev enjoying his relationship with the Australian fans.
Alize Cornet news: Heated exchange followed by brilliant interview and crowd singing happy birthday
All in a day’s work for Alize Cornet at the Australian Open.
Simona Halep: Former world No 1 getting ‘close’ to her best level as she marches on in Melbourne
Simona Halep in good nick at the Australian Open.