WTA Rankings: Sofia Kenin surges into top 10 as Garbine Muguruza moves back into top 20
Ashleigh Barty remains top of the WTA Rankings following the 2020 Australian Open, but finalists Sofia Kenin and Garbine Muguruza were the big movers.
Roland Garros champion Barty was beaten in the semi-finals at Melbourne Park by Kenin, who went onto win her maiden Grand Slam, but the Australian enjoyed a healthy lead at the top of the rankings ahead of the tournament and is still sitting pretty after the event.
Reigning Wimbledon champion Simona Halep is up one place to No 2 while Karolina Pliskova from the Czech Republic completes the top three.
Kenin is up to a career-high No 7 in the rankings after winning the Australian Open and the 21-year-old is now also the American No 1 as 23-time Grand Slam winner Serena Williams is down in ninth place.
Naomi Osaka dropped to No 10 after she failed to successfully defend her title in Melbourne while two-time Grand Slam winner Petra Kvitova slumped out of the top 10 as she is down to 11th.
British No 1 Johanna Konta is down one place to No 14 while former world No 1 and two-time major winner Muguruza, who lost in three sets to Kenin on Saturday, climbs 16 places to No 16.
Top 20 WTA Rankings:
1. Ashleigh Barty (Australia) 8,367
2. Simona Halep (Romania) 6,101 (+1)
3. Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) 5,290 (-1)
4. Elina Svitolina (Ukraine) 4,775 (+1)
5. Belinda Bencic (Switzerland) 4,675 (+2)
6. Bianca Andreescu (Canada) 4,665
7. Sofia Kenin (United States) 4,495 (+8)
8. Kiki Bertens (Netherlands) 3,965 (+2)
9. Serena Williams (United States) 3,915
10. Naomi Osaka (Japan) 3,626 (-6)
11. Petra Kvitova (Czech Republic) 3,466 (-3)
12. Madison Keys (United States) 2,962 (-1)
13. Aryna Sabalenka (Belarus) 2,820 (-1)
14. Johanna Konta (Great Britain) 2,753 (-1)
15. Petra Martic (Croatia) 2,586 (-1)
16. Garbine Muguruza (Spain) 2,527 (+16)
17. Marketa Vondrousova (Czech Republic) 2,430 (-1)
18. Alison Riske (United States) 2,360 (+1)
19. Elise Mertens (Belgium) 2,360 (-2)
20. Angelique Kerber (Germany) 2,175 (-2)
Dominic Thiem gets nightmare Roland Garros draw with FOUR Grand Slam winners possibly awaiting him
Austrian may have to do it the hard way.
COMMENT: The sporting fates have dreamed up perfect story for Andy Murray and Stan Wawrinka
What do the sporting gods have in store?
Andy Murray to play old foe Stan Wawrinka in first round of French Open
Draw throws up remarkable twist of fate.
Liam Broady thanks Andy Murray after qualifying for French Open for first time
Broady grateful to legend.
EXCLUSIVE: In conversation with the coach leading the LTA’s flourishing wheelchair tennis programme
We talk to LTA Technical Performance Coach Rob Cross
Novak Djokovic refuses French Open favourite tag: ‘If it’s Roland Garros, you bet on Rafael Nadal’
It’s still Rafa’s house, says Djokovic.
Dominic Thiem says ‘the pressure has now gone’ as he targets another Grand Slam crown
Austrian looking to ride momentum in Paris.
Novak Djokovic admits US Open ejection was tough mentally: ‘I experienced ups and downs’
World number one discusses Flushing Meadows fallout.
Benoit Paire allowed to play in Hamburg despite positive Covid-19 test
Rules in Germany meant Paire was deemed no longer to be infectious.